Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

In Praise of the Flint

Post by Slowy »

I've spent a but of time fiddling with my pedalboard lately. Anything to avoid actual playing. :roll:

To be fair, I've been getting to know a new anp; the Harmony. I've found a combination of pedals and settings that sound sublime; I just built them up one layer at a time.

But the last thing to be added is reverb. Having built up seveal gorgeous sounds and enjoyed them for several minutes I turn on the Flint and stop, transfixed by how much better again everything sounds.

Now I think this sonic sweetener is product specific. I have a Neunaber that is very good but it doesn't cause a sudden intake of breath like the Flint can.

My point? I've seen the Flintlove but I haven't paid much attention. It's a reverb. I have one.... So what?

But it does have something beautiful and special going on.

So..... I guess I'm saying I now know what the Cool Kids have known for years.
And to all you future Flint owners, everything you have heard is true. And your time will come, :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: In Praise of the Flint

Post by sizzlingbadger »

and a little harmonic trem just to add some shimmer ;-)
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Which model do you have Sir?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:54 pm and a little harmonic trem just to add some shimmer ;-)
Heads off to try that...
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:02 pm Which model do you have Sir?
Flint? I thought there was only one?

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Jay wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:02 pm Which model do you have Sir?
Are there different models of flint? I find the Flint I have from StratMatt to be most excellent. Basically what Slowy said. I’d avoided strymon as I perceived it to be P&W nonsense, but the Flint & Deco are magic.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I have only ever had Flint and Dig. Both were excellent.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Electric guitar for me has always been about playing in bands. At home, I play acoustic.
This is probably why I don't have the tone angst that some endure; all I need is an appropriate tone that can be heard in the mix and I know my gear well enough that it's easy to dial in.

But the Harmony amp is changing that. It really does sound gorgeous at home volumes and I've been shaping some tones with the pedalboard: A bit of hair from Timmy, some sparkle from the Archer, a couple of interesting EQ tweaks from other pedals. But the Flint is the one. Either alone or on top of the others, it just takes the sound up a level.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

There is only one model of Flint, there is an older and newer version though. The newer version has buttons that don't click, I think thats the only difference though.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:54 pm and a little harmonic trem just to add some shimmer ;-)
This is where the magic lies, some subtle movement to really bring your tone alive!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:19 am So it is this one then?

https://www.musicplanet.co.nz/strymon-f ... gISYvD_BwE
That's him!
You want to try mine?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Every time I power up my board mine forgets it was on last time, is that normal?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:23 am
Jay wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:19 am So it is this one then?

https://www.musicplanet.co.nz/strymon-f ... gISYvD_BwE

That's him!
You want to try mine?
That is a generous offer I must not refuse.

Let me know when you can part with it...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:36 am Every time I power up my board mine forgets it was on last time, is that normal?
Yes