jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Re: In Praise of the Flint

Post by jeremyb »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:37 am
jeremyb wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:36 am Every time I power up my board mine forgets it was on last time, is that normal?
Yes
Bloody annoying!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:40 am
jeremyb wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:36 am Every time I power up my board mine forgets it was on last time, is that normal?
Yes
Bloody annoying!
Maybe you should sell it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:10 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:40 am

Yes
Bloody annoying!
Maybe you should sell it.
Not until John Mayer stops using one ;-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:41 am
Slowy wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:23 am
Jay wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:19 am So it is this one then?

https://www.musicplanet.co.nz/strymon-f ... gISYvD_BwE

That's him!
You want to try mine?
That is a generous offer I must not refuse.

Let me know when you can part with it...
It will need to be Monday. I'm gone Tuesday.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

oh buddy, sorry to hear that. I'm surprised doctors can be that precise nowadays :(

yeah, sorry - not sorry ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:23 pm oh buddy, sorry to hear that. I'm surprised doctors can be that precise nowadays :(

yeah, sorry - not sorry ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I realise I am a major disappointment to some. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

curry in the new year :)

Still not plugged in that pedal you borrowed me, bloody hand is not up to playing.

In other news, the surfybear reverb/trem I got from Kev, is now boxed. Some final touches to make and you can have a tutu through it into tweed on curry night :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie

Bought a flint a while back and finally got to try it out yesterday - through an Iridium as I’m amp-less.

Have to say it left me a little bit underwhelmed given YouTube demos and the general reputation it has, which is unfortunate as I was so looking forward to having and using one. Felt and sounded a bit too digital, especially around the edges of the sound. The trem controls also seem a bit limited. Has anyone else thought this? Do I need to get it going through an amp to fully appreciate? Have I just provided grounds for excommunication?

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I’m thinking the iridium as the ‘amp’ must be the issue vs other peoples experience…certainly it’s magic into every amp I’ve tried it with. Will dust off the helix and try it in the loop when I get time and report back.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:26 pm Bought a flint a while back and finally got to try it out yesterday - through an Iridium as I’m amp-less.

Have to say it left me a little bit underwhelmed given YouTube demos and the general reputation it has, which is unfortunate as I was so looking forward to having and using one. Felt and sounded a bit too digital, especially around the edges of the sound. The trem controls also seem a bit limited. Has anyone else thought this? Do I need to get it going through an amp to fully appreciate? Have I just provided grounds for excommunication?
Mine goes into good sounding valve amps; haven't any other comparisons to offer. To me. it improves the sound when played in isolation and I like the feel it imparts. I look no further but YMMV.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie

Slowy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:45 pm
Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:26 pm Bought a flint a while back and finally got to try it out yesterday - through an Iridium as I’m amp-less.

Mine goes into good sounding valve amps; haven't any other comparisons to offer. To me. it improves the sound when played in isolation and I like the feel it imparts. I look no further but YMMV.
Cheers Slowy, good to know as I will eventually have a tube amp again. I knew I’d probably have to reserve proper judgment until then but thought I’d ask the question. I want it to be good!! Haha.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

I have Slowy's Flint atm and playing it trhough my Jansen amp. I must say, I agree with you. I find the Flint underwhelming too when compared to my other digital reverb.

Currently I have the Flint setup in series with my Yamaha Magic Stomp. The latter has a number of different reverb types available which can be tuned individually. I can 'tune' it to sound similar to the Flint, but actually prefer the untuned version out of the box.

I can try it on my Vox AC15 or on the Princeton if you like and let you know...

Full disclosure - my ancient ears may not be qualified to provide reviews for others.

And lastly, I am so glad that Slowy lend me his Flint as it saved me from buying one, only to be disappointed :lol:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie

Jay wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:15 pmI have Slowy's Flint atm and playing it trhough my Jansen amp. I must say, I agree with you. I find the Flint underwhelming too when compared to my other digital reverb.

Currently I have the Flint setup in series with my Yamaha Magic Stomp. The latter has a number of different reverb types available which can be tuned individually. I can 'tune' it to sound similar to the Flint, but actually prefer the untuned version out of the box.

I can try it on my Vox AC15 or on the Princeton if you like and let you know...
Oh no, maybe my first impression is correct! 😐 I guess I definitely won’t know until I’m playing it through a real amp. If you do get round to putting it through those amps I’d be keen to know your thoughts.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie

A result of this experience is to have instant reverb and trem gas again. Definitely like the look of the Supro trem and the Anasounds reverb…

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

You got it before or after the iridium? most people seem to run it after for some reason...