Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

I'm retiring from charity work.

Post by Slowy »

Disclaimer: I've been crook with flu like symptoms but negative RATs for 3 weeks now. I'm weary to my bones and feel the desperate need for a month's uninterrupted sleep. This may well be informing my attitude. :rofl:

But;
Tonight is my last gig. Tonight is the last time I will haul a collection of expensive gear through the rain, devoting half of my weekend to providing the music for parties of people who think they're doing me a favour by letting me play at their event. It's the last time I will contribute my renumeration to helping pay for PA's and lighting which singers inevitably believe are theirs by right. It's the last time I will stress about my gear being lost to or damaged by blundering drunkards.

I can't wait.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: I'm retiring from charity work.

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:25 pm Disclaimer: I've been crook with flu like symptoms but negative RATs for 3 weeks now. I'm weary to my bones and feel the desperate need for a month's uninterrupted sleep. This may well be informing my attitude. :rofl:

But;
Tonight is my last gig. Tonight is the last time I will haul a collection of expensive gear through the rain, devoting half of my weekend to providing the music for parties of people who think they're doing me a favour by letting me play at their event. It's the last time I will contribute my renumeration to helping pay for PA's and lighting which singers inevitably believe are theirs by right. It's the last time I will stress about my gear being lost to or damaged by blundering drunkards.

I can't wait.
Gold watch and out, ay Bruce?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Sorry to hear that Bruce. Hopefully you will get over this run down episode soon. Happy to come over with some malty stuff and help you drink away our sorrows :wink:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:29 pm
Gold watch? I'll be happy to escape without a parking ticket.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:45 pm Sorry to hear that Bruce. Hopefully you will get over this run down episode soon. Happy to come over with some malty stuff and help you drink away our sorrows :wink:
I have no sorrows; just a spasming cough and a desire for more that 90 minutes uninterrupted sleep. That aside, Malty stuff and a companion to share it sounds way more pleasant than another fecking gig. :thumbup:

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Well at least you can tell the grandy's you were once a professional musician with a conscience!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Slowy wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:46 pm
robthemac wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:29 pm
Gold watch? I'll be happy to escape without a parking ticket.
No, wait. Actually the parking ticket would be fine.:oops:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Post gig:
Well I won't forget that in the next 2 lifetimes.
And I'm considering a new career in prophecy.

Definitely arrived in the rain. And when my stage clothes, stage light and a few other things remained in my car, I lost the keys. A thorough search later involving several eager sleuths, it was determined that I had dropped them in the carpark where they were picked up. Since they weren't handed in, it raised the possibility they had been found by a child.
I have a more sinister interpretation but if my car is gone when I get there in the morning, there's nothing I can do about it now.
Anyway, great start.

The finish was also epic.
There is a punter wearing (I kid you not) a T shirt proclaiming, "Must Not Be Released Unsupervised". He spends most of the sets playing air guitar.
On our very last song, he crashes through my mic stand and face plants my pedalboard where he manages to slice his nose open on the only glass I'd seen him holding all evening. The amount of blood was astonishing. So what do you do in that situation?

Well I was in the middle of my big solo on our final song so I played on.
Rock'n'Roll baby.

The gig itself was somewhat forgettable; I couldn't help counting down.
Still haven't got all the mess off my pedalboard but that's a Sunday job.
Oh and the lost keys cost me a $60 taxi fare.

It's really good when you can end something you value with confirmation that it's time to go. :rofl:

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Slowy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:31 am Post gig:
Well I won't forget that in the next 2 lifetimes.
And I'm considering a new career in prophecy.

Definitely arrived in the rain. And when my stage clothes, stage light and a few other things remained in my car, I lost the keys. A thorough search later involving several eager sleuths, it was determined that I had dropped them in the carpark where they were picked up. Since they weren't handed in, it raised the possibility they had been found by a child.
I have a more sinister interpretation but if my car is gone when I get there in the morning, there's nothing I can do about it now.
Anyway, great start.

The finish was also epic.
There is a punter wearing (I kid you not) a T shirt proclaiming, "Must Not Be Released Unsupervised". He spends most of the sets playing air guitar.
On our very last song, he crashes through my mic stand and face plants my pedalboard where he manages to slice his nose open on the only glass I'd seen him holding all evening. The amount of blood was astonishing. So what do you do in that situation?

Well I was in the middle of my big solo on our final song so I played on.
Rock'n'Roll baby.

The gig itself was somewhat forgettable; I couldn't help counting down.
Still haven't got all the mess off my pedalboard but that's a Sunday job.
Oh and the lost keys cost me a $60 taxi fare.

It's really good when you can end something you value with confirmation that it's time to go. :rofl:
This completely sums up gig life in NZ.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

It does indeed, don’t miss that aspect
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Just add some arsehole asking for Wagon Wheel every 10 minutes

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

griff wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:25 am Just add some arsehole asking for Wagon Wheel every 10 minutes
That's why I tend to play it at least once per set.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Standing applause Bruce, great effort!

How many decades of service?
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

crowbgood1 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:38 am Standing applause Bruce, great effort!

How many decades of service?
Did my first gig at 15 so that's 5 decades.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Sounds like a decision well made. Good for you, gotta do what is best for you and ultimately makes you happy
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”