Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Re: I'm retiring from charity work.

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:28 am
griff wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:25 am Just add some arsehole asking for Wagon Wheel every 10 minutes
That's why I tend to play it at least once per set.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last night, it was repeated, "Can you play some Bowie?"
And the Bass player, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest his underpants, fobbed off an attractive blonde onto me. She was drunk, earnest and hideously over-sharing and depite my pleas for help, the entire band just left me to my fate.
Bastards.

War stories.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:58 am
griff wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:25 am Just add some arsehole asking for Wagon Wheel every 10 minutes
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last night, it was repeated, "Can you play some Bowie?"
And the Bass player, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest his underpants, fobbed off an attractive blonde onto me. She was drunk, earnest and hideously over-sharing and depite my pleas for help, the entire band just left me to my fate.
Bastards.

War stories.
I miss those days. Maybe you will too, one day.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Slowy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:58 am And the Bass player, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest his underpants, fobbed off an attractive blonde onto me. She was drunk, earnest and hideously over-sharing and depite my pleas for help, the entire band just left me to my fate.
Bastards.

War stories.
I’m not sure whether this is meant to be a positive or negative aspect of gigging?
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:13 am [
I miss those days. Maybe you will too, one day.
I'm certain of it; I'm a born recidivist.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MiniForklift wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:24 am
Slowy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:58 am And the Bass player, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest his underpants, fobbed off an attractive blonde onto me. She was drunk, earnest and hideously over-sharing and depite my pleas for help, the entire band just left me to my fate.
Bastards.

War stories.
I’m not sure whether this is meant to be a positive or negative aspect of gigging?
I think it depends. As a young man, my world was full of opportunity for new experience. But with the passage of time, it's become a tedious embarrassment. :D

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Kudos for carrying the torch so long.

When you cross that line of being more irked by the associated crap than elevated by the joy of playing it's time to back away.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

This is why I don't think I could ever do the covers band thing, having to play songs to appease people who don't actually like music.

I think the universe was well and truly telling you its time Bruce :shock: :shock: :shock:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:21 am
This is why I don't think I could ever do the covers band thing, having to play songs to appease people who don't actually like music.

I think the universe was well and truly telling you its time Bruce :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was a covers-band whore from 15 through 27 years of age. For the money I was making as a teenage muso, I would play whatever the fuck the punters wanted.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:31 am

I was a covers-band whore from 15 through 27 years of age. For the money I was making as a teenage muso, I would play whatever the fuck the punters wanted.
I admire your dedication to the graft Rob!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:34 am

I can still remember the chords to April Sun!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:39 am

I can still remember the chords to April Sun!
You're not a real guitarist apparently if you can't play it!! :rofl:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

At the same age I was in what I now realise was a bloody good band. We played pubs and company gigs doing Celtic & West Country tunes. We could make it funny or lewd. We could pull everyone on to the dance floor and keep them rocking for hours and then we'd put on a show for the kids that the enlightened Duke of Wellington pub allowed in on Sunday afternoons. And the money I was making far exceeded any job I could get elsewhere.

Naturally, It became a typical Rock'n'Roll story.
To have peaked so soon! :roll: :lol:

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Wagon Wheel is actually a bloody great song. What covers band wouldn't use it - easy to play and if you can add some bluegrass harmony it's super fun. Crickey, it's much less work the Bohemian Rhapsody!
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Does a lot of work for charity, doesn’t like to mention it
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Enjoy your retirement Bruce.

I’ve never understood the non PA owning singer syndrome either.

Try not to be aggrieved with the Bass Player, as the principle musician in the band he would have many options and was probably trying to help out!
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish