Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: The One Thing Every Influential Guitar Tone Has In Common

Post by sty »

Bg wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:58 pm
I was drawn to guitar by schenker playing a wall of marshalls. They were mic'd but I was hanging on the front of the stage where I could hear them - or probably one of them ;)

The sound in the room isn't just about sound, its about the feeling of being hit by a big fuck off wave of sound.
Years ago when Kevin Shirley started out producing the Iron Maiden albums after Bruce rejoined I checked him out a little and one of his soundbites/credits was getting Alex Lifeson of Rush back into the room with his amps to record his guitar solos and main parts (this was when Shirley was an engineer). Apparently the big air waves and "feeling" the guitar sound while recording got a better performance out of Lifeson.

The video says pretty much the same thing, ie. it helps with the performance but doesn't really change the recorded guitar tone.

I'm a wuss though, and while all my guitar heroes, also starting with Schenker, stood in front of walls of Marshalls and I've found it a painful experience when I've been at a geatfest and someone dimes a Plexi!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1420 times

Post by robthemac »

sty wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:07 am
I'm a wuss though, and while all my guitar heroes, also starting with Schenker, stood in front of walls of Marshalls and I've found it a painful experience when I've been at a geatfest and someone dimes a Plexi!
Same here. I couldn't even crank that 6W VHT. My 18W Plexi sounds so good at volume, but I'm too shy to get it there.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

robthemac wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:21 am
sty wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:07 am
Same here. I couldn't even crank that 6W VHT. My 18W Plexi sounds so good at volume, but I'm too shy to get it there.
Yeah, I hear you. And using a powersoak just does not produce the same joy. I dream of a house in the wilderness, with good power and no neighbours. :-)

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

The more recording I do, the more I realise that sound engineers are the real geniuses of Good Tone

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:54 am The more recording I do, the more I realise that sound engineers are the real geniuses of Good Tone
The few times I've recorded with a decent sound engineer, they have gone to my amp, looked at how I've set up the tone and gain controls and gone "No", then set it up to sound good recorded.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Subjectivity

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Molly wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:07 pm
HackSaw wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:00 pmMetal Zone?
Fixed ;-)
FIXED!
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

A volume is tone boot camp required.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Trumped only by a guitar

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

ProCo Rat

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Danger Mouse wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:33 am
olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:54 am The more recording I do, the more I realise that sound engineers are the real geniuses of Good Tone
The few times I've recorded with a decent sound engineer, they have gone to my amp, looked at how I've set up the tone and gain controls and gone "No", then set it up to sound good recorded.
That reminds me of a trick I used when recording His Masters Voice at Stebbings two times.
We had the luxury of a large room that meant we could track drums, bass and guitar live in the studio without an undue amount of spill. Everyone was playing at their normal volume even.

Anyway, guitarist Az, wanted to play through his Marshall valvestate to have all the gain tricks he’d been used to. Far too fizzy mic’ed up.
I wanted him to record through my super bass to get a sound that suited the feel of the recording we were after. Too “clean” for Az’s style.
Solution was to set up both rigs with a baffles between them and record both.
That way we got the performance we wanted and the recorded tone of both amps we could blend between.

Voltron
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Voltron »

Capt. Black wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:23 pm
Danger Mouse wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:33 am
That reminds me of a trick I used when recording His Masters Voice at Stebbings two times.
We had the luxury of a large room that meant we could track drums, bass and guitar live in the studio without an undue amount of spill. Everyone was playing at their normal volume even.

Anyway, guitarist Az, wanted to play through his Marshall valvestate to have all the gain tricks he’d been used to. Far too fizzy mic’ed up.
I wanted him to record through my super bass to get a sound that suited the feel of the recording we were after. Too “clean” for Az’s style.
Solution was to set up both rigs with a baffles between them and record both.
That way we got the performance we wanted and the recorded tone of both amps we could blend between.
Your post made me curious enough to go and track this down for a listen. Very cool. Right up my street - bluesy stoner rock like the devil and the almighty blues or asteroid. Cheers!

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Is the answer “a guitar”?

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

GPT-4?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Voltron wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:53 pm

Your post made me curious enough to go and track this down for a listen. Very cool. Right up my street - bluesy stoner rock like the devil and the almighty blues or asteroid. Cheers!
Cheers! Glad you enjoyed it.