StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 838 times
Been liked: 1357 times

Re: Offset chat

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Starfire wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:22 am Question is, do you intend to set the stock bridge up floating, or fixed like the Mastery? The latter is an error, IMO – it's not how the stock bridge was intended to work. I have mine floating and it works perfectly for me, but I'm more of a subtle-yet-frequent vibrato user than a divebomber.

I don't like threaded saddles, so actually I'm using an AmPro JM (Mustang) bridge, but same diff. Staytrem could be another option for you – no springs at all, so no rattles, and possibly a happy sonic medium between stock and Mastery, while also looking vintage. Bit of a wait list for a Staytrem at the moment, though, I think.
I agree re: floating
Also I won’t be using threaded JM saddles but a set of period correct mustang saddles
The clear rubber collets on the bridge screws and posts would be an acceptable spring replacement and if appropriately narrow would allow floating action while avoiding the post screws rotating

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Post by Starfire »

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3510 times
Been liked: 1096 times

Post by codedog »

Been thinking heaps about offsets recently. Checked out some Squier options... ouch! They're not as cheap as last time I looked.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

codedog wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:29 pm Been thinking heaps about offsets recently. Checked out some Squier options... ouch! They're not as cheap as last time I looked.
Yep it’s crazy really
Also the prices of MIJ fenders …

Could always keep and eye out for an old Japanese offfering like a mosrite copy ? I have a cheeky mosrite copy that I could part with …
Reverends have offset qualities and come up cheaply enough … but they tend to be limited to the les trem sort of vibrato

I think the mexi lacquer finish jag/jms they came out about ?6-7 yrs back were the best value things that have come along in recent times. Can still be found on reverb around $1100-1500 mark. (Last I checked )

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Last time I looked J Mascis Jazzmasters were quite well regarded. I see there's are still some floating around the globe.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

codedog wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:16 pm Last time I looked J Mascis Jazzmasters were quite well regarded. I see there's are still some floating around the globe.
They’re well made – especially the earlier rosewood fingerboard ones – chunky neck and massive frets if that’s your thing. Pickups are P90s under JM covers, so not the full JM experience. Vibrato’s moved closer to the bridge, so again it’s not quite the trad JM setup. Likewise, tuneomatic is pretty much the worst bridge for an offset if you’d like to be able to use the vibrato.

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 522 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by mule »

codedog wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:16 pm Last time I looked J Mascis Jazzmasters were quite well regarded. I see there's are still some floating around the globe.
Yeah they're great if you can find one. I regret not holding on to mine for longer.

Reverend's are great especially given how cheap they are, though I suppose whether it would scratch the itch depends what you're looking for when you're thinking of offsets. I love my Warhawk 390. You're welcome to borrow it if you'd like to try one out.

You're also welcome to have a hoon on my JM, which is one of the MIM 60s lacquer models Strummers mentioned above. But on a shorter term :lol: it's my go-to.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1377 times
Been liked: 2107 times

Post by GrantB »

Yep, a P90 and a proper JM pickup are different beasts. Even new JM p/ups aren’t the same thing as the originals.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

mule wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:41 pm
Yeah they're great if you can find one. I regret not holding on to mine for longer.

Reverend's are great especially given how cheap they are, though I suppose whether it would scratch the itch depends what you're looking for when you're thinking of offsets. I love my Warhawk 390. You're welcome to borrow it if you'd like to try one out.

You're also welcome to have a hoon on my JM, which is one of the MIM 60s lacquer models Strummers mentioned above. But on a shorter term :lol: it's my go-to.
That's awesome, man. However, between our procrastinating tendencies, do you think we'll get around to this some time next year? :lol:

I'm quite curious about 2 things... how big that body feels, and what that trem is like. IIRC, your 390 is a hardtail, right?

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 522 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by mule »

codedog wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:47 pm
mule wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:41 pm

That's awesome, man. However, between our procrastinating tendencies, do you think we'll get around to this some time next year? :lol:

I'm quite curious about 2 things... how big that body feels, and what that trem is like. IIRC, your 390 is a hardtail, right?
:lol: I never did buy that Kemper...

The JM body is large but the contour makes it really comfortable for playing while sitting. I find the (original) trem really nice for wibbly wobbles, very usable without over-shooting, and the tuning stability is great (helped by the mastery bridge, but it was still good before I replaced it). It's not built for dive bombs. The J Mascis sig definitely suffered for the bridge and I pretty much didn't use the trem because I'd be out of tune immediately.

And yep, the 390 is a hardtail. Not much similarity with the JM really. But it's technically an offset!

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

1976 Mustang on TM at an 'ok' price (in todays inflated offset market)
Ive owned two of these (both late 60s if I recall correctly) They can be a lot of fun.
No bargain here but probably not a bad investment
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... 4490672317

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

I like Mustangs, but I just can’t get inspired by an offset in black.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Starfire wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:46 am I like Mustangs, but I just can’t get inspired by an offset in black.
Agree
Still , old fenders always catch my eye
That one definitely has the Batman returns vibe

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.