Amp repairs in Wellington?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Timi
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Amp repairs in Wellington?

Post by Timi »

On behalf of some friends, for some reason at least one person in their band is having amp problems at any given time... They said Weta won't service anything they didn't sell and Simcha won't service anything that isn't boutique.

I know there's Buzz (who make fantastic stuff) but I've met a few people who weren't happy with their repairs. Anyone else? I told them to courier the amps to Clarry but they aren't into that idea. Gotta be local.

Currently they have a broken Jansen Bassman and a Hiwatt Custom 50 (which might be boutique?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Re: Amp repairs in Wellington?

Post by Polar Bear »

Surely the Bassman is in the right area. I was under them impression that Simcha had done a lot of work on Jansen and Holden stuff..
I was recommended Ian Peters - Kaleidoscope Services, based in Te Aro. PM me if you want his phone number. :)
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Timi: Do Spook need their amps fixed?

Pete (Tubeswell on the forum) might be able to help. I have a local tech out here in Kapiti who really knows his stuff if they want to bring it out there. Otherwise contact Rob @ Greenstone for a list of local techs as he knows a few.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Polar Bear wrote:I was recommended Ian Peters - Kaleidoscope Services, based in Te Aro. PM me if you want his phone number. :)
They mentioned a TV repair place, probably the same person. Sounded a bit dodge but if the dude is experienced with amps (and ideally plays too) it could be worth a look.
robnobcorncob wrote:Timi: Do Spook need their amps fixed?

Pete (Tubeswell on the forum) might be able to help. I have a local tech out here in Kapiti who really knows his stuff if they want to bring it out there. Otherwise contact Rob @ Greenstone for a list of local techs as he knows a few.
Yep it's the Spook guys. Cheers for the info will pass it on.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

yeah the description for Ian Peters' company says tv repairs but he was recommended to me as well when my vox decided to shat itself.

he had it diagnosed, remedied and returned quickly (less than 2 weeks) and i was pleasantly surprised at the cost. i still have both arms, legs and kidneys. :P

i have since sold the amp but know the current owner, no problems since (almost 18 months now)

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

I'm not sure if Audio Analysis are still running or not, but after getting some brand new EL34L tubes to put in my 5881 Marsall SLX ( the guy said it was all good to rebias it) I got the amp back and it had a massive hum from the get go...I rang him and he said it was probably a faulty tube...I asked if it was working in the shop and he said he didn't know he didn't have a cab to play it through! I had just got a new amp so never got around to taking it back, tho he didnt seem keen to help me out...I had basically asked for an amp service so assumed that after replacing tubes (which I knew were fucked) he would make the amp work...was that asking to much? Anyway, I wouldn't go there, he had mentioned he was trying to get out of amp repair, but what a note to go out on. I'm left with an amp I still can't use. Anyone else know where to go? Buzz Audio tried to charge me for talking on the phone with them (I'm not kidding) so not too keen on that place either. Weta guitars apparently put the wrong tubes in an older Marshall I had (according to the Rockshop, who sent my amp to Ak when they last did a repair). Do I just have the worst luck? Or should I give up on Marshalls? My Mesa hasn't died yet!...Polar Bear I have PMed you about this guy in Te Aro BTW, if I could have his number too that would be sweet.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

A few months late for answering the OP, but just to clarify, Simcha will work on most older style tube amps. She's just not a big fan of circuit boards and won't touch digital amps. If it's a fairly basic circuit board based design she'll usually have a look. The one's mentioned in the OP are just the sorts of things she works on regularly. There's always a half fixed Jansen or Holden lying around.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

Is a 1991 Marshall considered old? Who is this mysterious Simcha? Keep seeing the name on here...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

cholera wrote:I'm not sure if Audio Analysis are still running or not, but after getting some brand new EL34L tubes to put in my 5881 Marsall SLX ( the guy said it was all good to rebias it) I got the amp back and it had a massive hum from the get go...I rang him and he said it was probably a faulty tube...I asked if it was working in the shop and he said he didn't know he didn't have a cab to play it through! I had just got a new amp so never got around to taking it back, tho he didnt seem keen to help me out...I had basically asked for an amp service so assumed that after replacing tubes (which I knew were fucked) he would make the amp work...was that asking to much? Anyway, I wouldn't go there, he had mentioned he was trying to get out of amp repair, but what a note to go out on. I'm left with an amp I still can't use. Anyone else know where to go? Buzz Audio tried to charge me for talking on the phone with them (I'm not kidding) so not too keen on that place either. Weta guitars apparently put the wrong tubes in an older Marshall I had (according to the Rockshop, who sent my amp to Ak when they last did a repair). Do I just have the worst luck? Or should I give up on Marshalls? My Mesa hasn't died yet!...Polar Bear I have PMed you about this guy in Te Aro BTW, if I could have his number too that would be sweet.
Don't give up on Marshalls, just give up on Wellington....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

The freight cost to Auckland is more manageable when a shop hasn't added a handling fee.
You have made positive references about Clarry at 34 Audio [ (09)8172634 ] ask him about the repairs & freight options.
Last edited by Anvil Amps Alan on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

cholera wrote:Is a 1991 Marshall considered old? Who is this mysterious Simcha? Keep seeing the name on here...
Basically it comes down to the complexity of the circuit board, but I'm sure she'd look at it. Simcha Delft is the best guitar/amp technician I've ever met. She used to work in London, I think it was in the 70's but I'm not exactly sure. She designed and built the 'Cuba Street' Amps that were coming out of Mojo Sound shortly before it's demise. Legend has it that when she left London she had a waiting list 10 years long, and that her previous clientele has included the likes of Mick Taylor (Rolling Stones), Paul Simon, Joan Armatrading, Gary Moore (RIP), America, and Def Leppard. All I know is that she took my 25 year old acoustic that I thought had done it's dash and resurrected it to play like new. She is a genius and a very nice person, and I wish I knew her before I let someone else butcher my old 57 RI Strat.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

I'm guesssing nobody will want to post her number on here or anything...but does she still work out of a shop? ie can I contact her? Guess I should just google her and see what comes up...

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

She works out of the shop I work at, Music Planet in Victoria St Wellington (next to Warehouse Stationery, across the road from the back end of Farmers Cuba St). Your best bets are Tuesdays and Saturdays, but she mixes it up a little. She's there today (Wednesday) I believe. Music Planet number 04 382 9030. Simcha pronounced [SIM - ka].

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

mr_sooty wrote:
cholera wrote:Is a 1991 Marshall considered old? Who is this mysterious Simcha? Keep seeing the name on here...
Basically it comes down to the complexity of the circuit board, but I'm sure she'd look at it. Simcha Delft is the best guitar/amp technician I've ever met. She used to work in London, I think it was in the 70's but I'm not exactly sure. She designed and built the 'Cuba Street' Amps that were coming out of Mojo Sound shortly before it's demise. Legend has it that when she left London she had a waiting list 10 years long, and that her previous clientele has included the likes of Mick Taylor (Rolling Stones), Paul Simon, Joan Armatrading, Gary Moore (RIP), America, and Def Leppard. All I know is that she took my 25 year old acoustic that I thought had done it's dash and resurrected it to play like new. She is a genius and a very nice person, and I wish I knew her before I let someone else butcher my old 57 RI Strat.
probably list the beatles there as well.

simcha delft is probably the best/amp tech ever.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

simcha did things to my Sovtek MIG-50 which brought it from being a really nice amp to being a damn incredible amp. she also sold me some NOS Mullard 6L6's from the 60's. :D :D :D would certainly have her work on my gear again.