Moderator: Capt. Black

bladeless
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time

Stories In Sound

Post by bladeless »

Been quiet for a while but happy to announce my new musician/band interview series Stories In Sound!

Just so you have a basic idea of what the series is here's a bit of a description:
Stories In Sound is an interview based web series set around showcasing musicians and their music as well as hearing about the stories behind, in, and around their art.

Episode 1 features Michael, the guitarist from progressive metal band No Transitory, and I feel like it is of particular interest to us guitarists (check it out to see why :P)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz35Ywkwtnc

If you have seen any of my previous work with my previous outfit you will basically know what you're in for, but now I am also including exclusive musical content such as live performances of songs, guitar playthroughs, and acoustic tracks.

I hope you enjoy it and please feel free to tell me what you think and get in touch if any bands or artists here would like to set one up.

Cheers!

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Re: Stories In Sound

Post by Capt. Black »

Might I suggest... "SHORT Stories In Sound"

;)

bladeless
Stagg
Stagg

Post by bladeless »

Yeah people often get turned off by the fact that they are long, but to really get that deeper insight, which is what I am interested in and why I do these, then I have to keep it long form. I have considered doing two versions but that ends up taking a lot of extra time on my part and I really struggle with cutting bits out... also there is a bit of a podcast culture now so I feel there is a potential audience there maybe. Can always turn it on and have it going in the BG while you do other stuff :thumbup:

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I dunno, since buying a smart TV, I've moved almost completely away from broadcast TV and now stream and dl most stuff, through Netflix or You Tube (or, ahem, borrowing from the internet). I quite like finding episode length stuff on You Tube, so being able to sit down and watch a 1/2 hour show on something I find interesting is actually good, certainly not a problem.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

bladeless
Stagg
Stagg

Post by bladeless »

Episode 2 is now live!

http://theempire.nz/sis-with-aia/

This episode features an interview with Armed In Advance as well as my first go at shooting, recording, and mixing some acoustic performances.

Check it out :)

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

bladeless wrote:Yeah people often get turned off by the fact that they are long, but to really get that deeper insight, which is what I am interested in and why I do these, then I have to keep it long form. I have considered doing two versions but that ends up taking a lot of extra time on my part and I really struggle with cutting bits out... also there is a bit of a podcast culture now so I feel there is a potential audience there maybe. Can always turn it on and have it going in the BG while you do other stuff :thumbup:

Fair enough. But I gave the first episode an honest crack and after ten minutes of nothing much happening, I got bored and started skipping through to try and get a sense of whether either a story or some sound was coming up. Nothing grabbed me at all, so I gave up.

To be honest, it may be better as just a podcast to listen to in the background. Or better still, once you've done the interview, try to shoot some other footage to cut to that is relevant to what is being talked about. That would give the viewer something to hold their interest while they listen to the discussion.

Please take this as constructive criticism. I think it's a great idea what you're aiming to do.
Plus I truly sympathise. It is really hard to edit interview footage down. What do you throw away and what do you keep? But you have to be really brutal and find THE STORY then weed out the waffle.

bladeless
Stagg
Stagg

Post by bladeless »

Cheers for the feedback man, yeah I have considered cutting in live footage and things to spice up the visual aspect which is why I added the guitar play-through at the end of the No Transitory video and the acoustic performances in my latest one. I am also trying to work towards making it more of a conversation as opposed to formal question answer type interview, but that will be a bit of a process for me personally getting to that point. Thanks heaps for your input!

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

bladeless wrote:Cheers for the feedback man, yeah I have considered cutting in live footage and things to spice up the visual aspect which is why I added the guitar play-through at the end of the No Transitory video and the acoustic performances in my latest one. I am also trying to work towards making it more of a conversation as opposed to formal question answer type interview, but that will be a bit of a process for me personally getting to that point. Thanks heaps for your input!
This attitude is why you will ultimately succeed. 8)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

bladeless
Stagg
Stagg

Post by bladeless »

Well here are two new episodes :)

First is with Bakers Eddy from Wellington who opened for Highly Suspect at the Powerstation and absolutley killed it!! Episode also features 2 killer acoustic performances of their tracks Heart Attack and Wallbreaker, check it!!
http://theempire.nz/sis-with-bakers-eddy/

And the second features the almighty Villainy talking about everything thats been going on since releasing Dead Sight in September and also what they have got coming up for 2016!!
http://theempire.nz/sis-with-villainy/

Also gonna be releasing full versions as podcasts soon so keep an ear out :)