Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Anyone bought strings off Ali Express?

Post by Jay »

MiniForklift wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:21 pm In the past I’ve placed 4 or 5 orders through AE and not one of them ever turned up. Never had any issues with eBay regardless of what country it’s being sent from
Ordered 6 items in the last 4 weeks. Four have turned up so far...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

MiniForklift wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:21 pm In the past I’ve placed 4 or 5 orders through AE and not one of them ever turned up. Never had any issues with eBay regardless of what country it’s being sent from
My hit rate is probably better than 90%, but thats still not fabulous.
Nothing to see here.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Miza wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:53 pm

Mine is near on 100% success, so obviously have had a better run than some. Delivery times are all over the place so pays to be selective of their chosen shipping method.
That said, strings are one of the many things I couldn't be faffed ordering from there.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Miza wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:53 pm
I have three criteria:
Shop must have been on AE for at least 3 years, must have a high score (>97%) and must have a large order rate (>50).
Price of item comes secondary to the above.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Never had a package not turn up from AliExpress and I've ordered a ton off there including guitars and bicycle wheels, I generally only use AliExpress standard shipping or on bigger items UPS / DHL though...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath »

I bought a bunch of stuff from AE but never trusted it enough to buy strings from. Best deal I found was to sign up to StewMac StewMax and get free delivery for a year and 15% off strings. Pack of 10 D’Addario’s worked out to be about $65 landed. Plus you get free shipping on everything else for a year. Even got the '57 Mini Tweed 5W Amp Kit shipped to NZ for free :D
"You give me a fucking kazoo and I'll write you a good song." - Billy Corgan

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

One of my parcels is in locked down Shanghai, won't see that one in a hurry :(

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Have never had any issues with delays buying stuff of AE, usually turns up fairly promptly.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Buy strings off Ali Express?

When I can get legit ones for $7.60 from stringsandbeyond.com?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Miza wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:53 pm Meh, I'm still not convinced the packs I got were fake (if they are, it's exceptionally good fake packaging).

But I won't be making a habit of buying strings that way. For the few bucks you save, how long you wait and the risk they never show up (happens a lot with AE) is not worth it.
I take back what I said... I watched the video below and compared two sets, one bought in NZ and from AliExpress. The latter are absolute fakes. Very hard to tell when looking casually but there it is...

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Jay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:56 pm
Miza wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:53 pm Meh, I'm still not convinced the packs I got were fake (if they are, it's exceptionally good fake packaging).

But I won't be making a habit of buying strings that way. For the few bucks you save, how long you wait and the risk they never show up (happens a lot with AE) is not worth it.
I take back what I said... I watched the video below and compared two sets, one bought in NZ and from AliExpress. The latter are absolute fakes. Very hard to tell when looking casually but there it is...

Do you think the fakes were any worse than the originals, though? Leaving aside risk, morality etc.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

robthemac wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:18 pm
Jay wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:56 pm

Do you think the fakes were any worse than the originals, though? Leaving aside risk, morality etc.
My mate bought the fakes and did not notice. I will install a set tomorrow and let you know. They certainly aren't coated but may sound good enough for a while...

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

Well the results are in and all of them were as fake as a politician's smile.

The D'addarios looked fully legit until I entered the serial number on their website and they came up as counterfeit. I then went back and found 2 spelling mistakes buried in the internal packaging but they pass the eye test and I will still put them on something (even though they are 10s and I ordered 9s.

Ernie ball packaging was fully on point but string winding was different and I'm not fully confident that the high E string will stand up to tension.

Elixir packaging looked authentic as but strings (as mentioned by Jay) have no coating and a weird dent in the ball end of one of the strings.

Painless experiment though as I put a dispute through to Ali and got a full refund of purchase price and postage and I now have a good supply of strings for emergency breakages.
Last edited by matman on Tue May 17, 2022 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Yes, the string winding is awful on the fakes. I use the fakes as gig spares.

That is, if I was gigging…:(
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

If it's branded and purchased from China, why would you expect it to be genuine? :roll:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.