Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2022

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Re: Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Bg wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:22 pm Nothing wrong in prototyping the old fashioned way.
I would usually use veroboard but that wasn't an option in this case due to the style of components.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

chappi
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2

Post by chappi »

Hi Blake, any updates on this project?

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

jumping in on the Discussion on design (a bit late) The tower would look cleaner without fantail (move to top of box perhaps (the top side, where the dc jack is, on the perfect stage and pedalboard combo its a tiny billboard) and an led above each stomp, mode toggles colours, bypass toggles on off, then you can quickly see which mode you are kicking into, a single LED has the problem that you can't tell when bypassed, or there is a lit led when bypassed which is against convention. everything else looks sweet as. reminds of the White stripes old website
b.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Amazing thread, finally read the whole lot. Fantastic work.

Are the Russian references going to stay on the artwork?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

chappi wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:00 am Hi Blake, any updates on this project?
It has been sitting on the back burner for a while now I am afraid. The power supply I designed was exhibiting some weird behaviour in circuit and I hadn't "past participle of get" around to addressing it before taking a sanity break for my general well-being.
Snarblinge wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:48 pm jumping in on the Discussion on design (a bit late) The tower would look cleaner without fantail (move to top of box perhaps (the top side, where the dc jack is, on the perfect stage and pedalboard combo its a tiny billboard) and an led above each stomp, mode toggles colours, bypass toggles on off, then you can quickly see which mode you are kicking into, a single LED has the problem that you can't tell when bypassed, or there is a lit led when bypassed which is against convention. everything else looks sweet as. reminds of the White stripes old website
I really need to revisit the whole thing, to be honest with you. I often find that a break from a design often leads to clarity but it has been so long that I will need to go over everything to remember what I actually did or intended to do.
Jay wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:57 am Amazing thread, finally read the whole lot. Fantastic work.

Are the Russian references going to stay on the artwork?
I appreciate those kind words. The world has changed a lot since this thread was started, especially with the situation in Ukraine. The artwork will no doubt change to reflect this.

www.fantailaudio.com

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Still following and looking forward to seeing where things go!
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

MiniForklift wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:32 am Still following and looking forward to seeing where things go!
I have pulled it out again as a result of the recent questions and comments. Still sounds really nice even if I do say so myself.

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:51 pm
MiniForklift wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:32 am Still following and looking forward to seeing where things go!
I have pulled it out again as a result of the recent questions and comments. Still sounds really nice even if I do say so myself.
What about the pedal though?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:27 pm
FuzzMonkey wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:51 pm
What about the pedal though?
:clap: :lol:

www.fantailaudio.com

chappi
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by chappi »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:44 am
chappi wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:00 am Hi Blake, any updates on this project?
It has been sitting on the back burner for a while now I am afraid. The power supply I designed was exhibiting some weird behaviour in circuit and I hadn't "past participle of get" around to addressing it before taking a sanity break for my general well-being.
Thanks for the updates. Those sanity breaks are essential.

Kind regards

Chris

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

chappi wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:35 am Thanks for the updates. Those sanity breaks are essential.

Kind regards

Chris
Hi Chris. They are indeed essential. I'm hoping to do a where things are at the moment summary post soon.

www.fantailaudio.com

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Where are things at the moment?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Also keen to know where things are at at the moment
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

This has been on the back burner for a while now I am afraid. I was recently sent a Dry Bell Vibe Machine to repair and it made me drag it out again and revaluate where I am wanting to go with this moving forward.

I personally feel it needs to be simplified some what. I have even considered experimenting with a digital LFO I order to incorporate a tap tempo feature.

www.fantailaudio.com

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

After repairing a Drybell Vibe Machine recently, I thought I'd better dust off my Uni-Vibe project in an attempt to resolve a couple of issues I was having with the prototype.

My renewed efforts resulted in a total redesign, with the new PCBs arriving today.

In order to fit everything in, the Audio and LFO sections of the circuit are now on two separate PCBs that are sandwiched by a series of head pins.

Below: The Audio section PCB.

Below: The LFO section PCB.

I also designed an Input/Output PCB that handles the reverse polarity protection and the boost circuit for the power supply that converts the incoming 9-volts to the required 24-volts for the LFO section and a well filter 18-volts for the audio section.

Below: The Input/Output PCB.

Two soft-touch momentary footswitches handle the five switching functions via a microcontroller using three separate relays.

Below: The Switching PCB.

The lightshield also got an upgrade. That being a panelised PCB that snaps apart with the reflective surface provided by the exposed tinned copper layer.

Below: The top-side of the panelised lightshield.

Below: The bottom-side of the panelised lightshield.

Once snapped apart, the lightshield slots together into the spaces provided.

Below: The snapped part lightshield.

Below: The slots in the Audio section PCB.

Below: The walls go up.

Below: And the roof goes on.

The lightshield is then secured in place with a few sections of brass rod. Next up was dry-fitting everything.

Below: The dry fit.

The only issue was with the three LEDs that were off by a couple of millimetres. For this version, I can just bend the leads until I get a chance to revise the design.

A name change was also in order. I present, the Atmosfera.

Below: The faceplate design.

Here's a teaser of what the final pedal will look like.

Below: The mocked up enclosure.

I'm hoping to get everything assembled over the next few days and will report back then.

~ Blake.

www.fantailaudio.com