Whats on your amp workbench?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Whats on your amp workbench?

Post by Bg »

Cdog wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:10 pm Slick! Diggin the burgundy
I love the colour and the green :)

So as per usual, pine top/bottom/sides - dovetail jointed. Baffle and back are ply. Head will be burgundy and cream with copper/brown piping. Hard to describe until you see it.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

oh and I just want to say how much I love my air stapler, I can't believe I didn't buy one until a couple of years ago. It just shoots those buggers in - up to 16mm in length. Previously I used a hand held upholsters stapler - force them in 3/4 of the way then follow up with a hammer. DOH! Had hand cramp for days afterwards.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Great combination!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:18 pm oh and I just want to say how much I love my air stapler, I can't believe I didn't buy one until a couple of years ago. It just shoots those buggers in - up to 16mm in length. Previously I used a hand held upholsters stapler - force them in 3/4 of the way then follow up with a hammer. DOH! Had hand cramp for days afterwards.
Air tools rule, I love my brad nailer, I just wish he'd come over more often so I can nail him.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:31 pm
Bg wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:18 pm oh and I just want to say how much I love my air stapler, I can't believe I didn't buy one until a couple of years ago. It just shoots those buggers in - up to 16mm in length. Previously I used a hand held upholsters stapler - force them in 3/4 of the way then follow up with a hammer. DOH! Had hand cramp for days afterwards.
Air tools rule, I love my brad nailer, I just wish he'd come over more often so I can nail him.
yeah brad nailer is next on my list, after Dawn Breaker.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:38 pm
I found it easy to get up at the crack of Dawn, but she had waxed recently.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:43 pm
Bg wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:38 pm

I found it easy to get up at the crack of Dawn, but she had waxed recently.
Looking forward to a nice bit of Misty Buff

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3466 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Been experimenting with different negative feedback in the super reverb head for a while, since I rewired my cab (2x10) for 8Ohms instead of stock 2Ohms 4x10 they came with as a combo. Decided to make it switchable just for fun this avo.

Sacrificed 2nd speaker jack... on-off-on switch as per rob robinette's suggestion. Had to rejig resistor values after the speaker load changed... Aiken amps had a couple of interesting articles on it. Favourite setting is with NFB set lowest, really smooth transition to overdrive. Definte EQ shift between the settings too.

Fun times :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Good feedback on the negative feedback mod Corey!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Sadly the peavey got a bit confused, the smoke was let out from the power transformer. Its consigned to a skip. Not worth paying for a tranny - not sure what the going rate is? JB will know.

Will sell the speaker and reverb pan on the tard... unless someones after a blue marvel and reverb pan here?

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Bg wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:49 pm Sadly the peavey got a bit confused, the smoke was let out from the power transformer. Its consigned to a skip. Not worth paying for a tranny - not sure what the going rate is? JB will know.

Will sell the speaker and reverb pan on the tard... unless someones after a blue marvel and reverb pan here?
Bums about the smoke, man. Bad juju when magic smoke escapes. Might be innarrested in the pan. What’s the brand and model?

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Cdog wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:38 pm Image

Been experimenting with different negative feedback in the super reverb head for a while, since I rewired my cab (2x10) for 8Ohms instead of stock 2Ohms 4x10 they came with as a combo. Decided to make it switchable just for fun this avo.

Sacrificed 2nd speaker jack... on-off-on switch as per rob robinette's suggestion. Had to rejig resistor values after the speaker load changed... Aiken amps had a couple of interesting articles on it. Favourite setting is with NFB set lowest, really smooth transition to overdrive. Definte EQ shift between the settings too.

Fun times :)
Damn, Sam…that Super innids is mighty purty…tidier than mine. Tight work, man!

I have NFB controlled by a pot on my SFTR, ultra-linear and it can sound epic. It’s like the ‘blanket of sterility’ (‘cone of silence’? phttt :crazy: ) is removed and the amp’s dynamics/touch sensitivity is revealed and the eq sounds more ‘complex’ for some reason. Might be a more pronounced effect due to the ultra-linear tranny…dunnno, but the amp is really versatile. Goes from a lab-grade clean, pedal platform to a toneful, reactive instrument in it’s own right.

I had a ‘75, US Export, SFTR (pull master/non UL) that I’ve given to my son (The Dude) and is in with John Gilmore for the same mod. He’ll swap out the master vol pot for a NFB pot in the same position so The Dude can switch between pedal platform clean to reactive and dynamic, depending on required vibe.

I think it’s a party trick that Leo, or post Leo Fender dudes, should have made a standard amp feature.

Nice weekend’s labour, man :clap:

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Bg wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:49 pm Sadly the peavey got a bit confused, the smoke was let out from the power transformer. Its consigned to a skip. Not worth paying for a tranny - not sure what the going rate is? JB will know.

If you’re comfortable with pulling off trannies (!), you could just post it to Brian Smith for a rewind. It’d be around $150 or less I’d bet.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

RectifiedAmps wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:57 pm

If you’re comfortable with pulling off trannies (!), you could just post it to Brian Smith for a rewind. It’d be around $150 or less I’d bet.
I'm more than happy with that, but I expect that by the time I was finished there would be no profit gained. Never dealt with Brian Smith, is he good?

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Bg wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:17 pm
RectifiedAmps wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:57 pm

I'm more than happy with that, but I expect that by the time I was finished there would be no profit gained. Never dealt with Brian Smith, is he good?
Yep, he’s awesome. I’ve mostly used him for rewinding Jansen transformers but he’s done other power and output trannies for me as well, including newer stuff. Always good work and he even re-laminates them as part of the rewind.