Victor 16mm film projector amp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: Victor 16mm film projector amp

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:08 pm
MikeC wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:24 pm
Bg wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:13 pm

Could be in 6 months, but we've not found a house yet. Its just on the horizon :)
Hmmm, I'd better think about getting any cabs built before you leave, freight being what it is! :(
The good thing is that after binning most of my workshop last weekend, I can work in there in bad weather now. Normally I have to wait for dry days so I can work outside... I've got dust extraction as well now :) Need to set up some more semi permanent workbenches for router table, bandsaw etc.

Bad news is that its still damp, no proper retaining walls or drainage. Crap really.
Probably too late but covering the ground in heavy black polythene does wonders to reduce humidity.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Way too late, theres a concrete pad in the basement and only a token gesture as to stopping soil/screed slipping in past the half rounds. I'll leave it for the next owner.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

oh did I mention that all the wall sockets down there are on a lighting circuit?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

That's a very professional conversion job.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:46 am
That’s a pretty cool review. Groks with my experience to a degree…I’ve plugged into one of my B+H Model 601 amps that has the accompanying speaker (alnico Goodmans Axiom 12) cab and it sounded pretty much like this, straight up. Very middly and stiff with little compliance/transient sensitivity. A voice focused sound with little bass or treble extension…not a modern guitar tone at all, more a kind of vintage charm like an old Silvertone or Harmony.

I highly suspect that given the right speaker, a more eloquent translator as it were, the full spectrum and nuance available would come through. Take the gag out of it’s throat. You can kind of hear it wants to scream but the speaker doesn’t want to party. Maybe a G12H30? But yeah, after a component sort out for safety and reliability.

As design pieces, the older cabs are really cool. Typical of their era: curves and lines evoking a late, industrial Deco vibe.

I’ve posted about those Mars, Hooks and Krinnard cats before. Here’s a Hooks on Reverb.com…

https://reverb.com/item/30055641-austen ... t=30055641

At that price, some one is taking them seriously :eh: