Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Nitro spraying advice

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:38 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:14 pm
GrantB wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:47 pm StewMac tints are great.

I think we need a conversation over the phone and I can work through The detail with you. I have tints available and happy to donate a few mls, but logistics will be a challenge I’m assuming?
Nothing wrong with a couple of blokes donating a few mls to each other. Tho logistics can be challenging from what I've heard.
I’m giving the mls, just to be clear.
Oh this isn't a reciprocating arrangement?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

robthemac wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:40 pm The locally acquired stuff just isn't giving me the effect I wanted, Ants.
Pee coloured laquer ?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:18 pm
robthemac wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:40 pm The locally acquired stuff just isn't giving me the effect I wanted, Ants.
Pee coloured laquer ?
It's more green-ish. THC or N. gonorrhoeae seem likely.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Frothy

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

OK, need to do a light amber tint in the clear coat. Any advice?

Also, I think my 1.7mm tip is too wide for a 50/50 nitro dilution. Thinking of trying a 1.3mm. Seem reasonable?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Changed my pressure to a lot higher and it worked a treat. Sprayed a matching headstock about two weeks ago. Sanded it up today, and it's pretty much a perfect mirror finish even before buffing and polishing. It's so thin that it's checking already!

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

robthemac wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:12 pm Changed my pressure to a lot higher and it worked a treat. Sprayed a matching headstock about two weeks ago. Sanded it up today, and it's pretty much a perfect mirror finish even before buffing and polishing. It's so thin that it's checking already!
I’ll be painting another guitar soon too, keen for any tips.
I bought a 4 litre of the ppg speedlac ready to go. Is that what you used?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Reg18 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:50 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:12 pm Changed my pressure to a lot higher and it worked a treat. Sprayed a matching headstock about two weeks ago. Sanded it up today, and it's pretty much a perfect mirror finish even before buffing and polishing. It's so thin that it's checking already!
I’ll be painting another guitar soon too, keen for any tips.
I bought a 4 litre of the ppg speedlac ready to go. Is that what you used?
4L? Should see you right for a dozen guitars.

I went for a pretty over-involved process initially, just to make sure I got it right. Sanding sealer, white primer, colour coat, tinted clear. Sanded back to 400 grit after the sealer, then 800 grit after the primer, then 1000 before the last couple of clear coats. I think that corrected a lot of my technical deficiencies.

Happy to provide any specific advice from my limited knowledge. Biggest general pieces of advice I can give are to go very slow, spray very thin coats (I ended up with <40% nitro!) and fix issues as soon as you notice them.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

I'm not sure if it's legal to ship them, but if you wanted any nitro sanding sealer, nitro retarder, amber/brown tint or a guitars' worth of metallic purple, we could work out a deal.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

4l was the smallest they would sell me! I’m
Sure it won’t be the last guitar I paint though.
I am going to need some amber tint for the top coats but yet to figure out how much. Going to try a lemony yellow burst I think but I’ll do some testing first to see how it goes. Not sure weather to stain the bare wood with the lemon yellow/amber then do some lacquer coats and then the darker edge for a burst and then more top coats, or do a sanding sealer coat or 2, then try and stain/spray over the top of that?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Reg18 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:30 pm 4l was the smallest they would sell me! I’m
Sure it won’t be the last guitar I paint though.
I am going to need some amber tint for the top coats but yet to figure out how much. Going to try a lemony yellow burst I think but I’ll do some testing first to see how it goes. Not sure weather to stain the bare wood with the lemon yellow/amber then do some lacquer coats and then the darker edge for a burst and then more top coats, or do a sanding sealer coat or 2, then try and stain/spray over the top of that?
I haven't done a transparent finish yet, so can't give any real advice. The sanding sealer is only very slightly opaque, so I'd probably still use a few coats.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Bursts require some finesse on the delivery that's hard to articulate from a keyboard...best I can say is its like you're aiming for the centre of the guitar from way out past the edge, and 50% of the spray hits perpendicular to the edge, and the rest feathers outs over the flat...and you follow the profile of the outside edge.

Reg, I'm not sure how you'd use stain for a burst. If you want a dark lemon to a clear/amber, use how I described and burst it. Takes many many coats of fine spray - altho Fender didn't...they were sloppy. Couple of squirts of the dark, and bam.

This is nitro, shot only with either amber or amber and tint (brown). True two tone burst. You can achieve a lemon burst like this. Happy to help.
Attachments
1932BDF6-F645-4BC8-AAB9-AA4A0DDC61B6_1_105_c.jpeg
1932BDF6-F645-4BC8-AAB9-AA4A0DDC61B6_1_105_c.jpeg (271.99 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:48 pm Bursts require some finesse on the delivery that's hard to articulate from a keyboard...best I can say is its like you're aiming for the centre of the guitar from way out past the edge, and 50% of the spray hits perpendicular to the edge, and the rest feathers outs over the flat...and you follow the profile of the outside edge.

Reg, I'm not sure how you'd use stain for a burst. If you want a dark lemon to a clear/amber, use how I described and burst it. Takes many many coats of fine spray - altho Fender didn't...they were sloppy. Couple of squirts of the dark, and bam.

This is nitro, shot only with either amber or amber and tint (brown). True two tone burst. You can achieve a lemon burst like this. Happy to help.
That's so sexy.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Nice even spray work is so good to achieve. Kudos on the thinner/nitro mix! Clearly you're not in the Waikato with 78% humidity.

Re aged lacquer "cracks", it's good you got some already. But somewhat against instinct, lacquer needs some depth to pull away from itself as it shrinks. Otherwise it heals! I'd be doin' the 10 coats clear on a 3-6 coat base (all thin, but wet and even), and once crispy, look for the checkin'
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

GrantB wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:48 pm Bursts require some finesse on the delivery that's hard to articulate from a keyboard...best I can say is its like you're aiming for the centre of the guitar from way out past the edge, and 50% of the spray hits perpendicular to the edge, and the rest feathers outs over the flat...and you follow the profile of the outside edge.

Is this a refin Custom or a new build you did? Either way, it's mega! Congrats, man. One of my dream guitars on my personal, guitar/amp degustation list 8)
Ummm...if no one has said so before, a small 'dibs' from me...if I ever win lotto :lol: :thumbup: