Strat Help - Mission Accomplished

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Strat Help - Mission Accomplished

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I'm thinking about buying a Strat, my budget is more Mexican than USA and I tend towards the traditional specs. I saw this MIJ on the Tard and I quite like it. Seems like a good price and has a hard case too.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... 4074121764

I owned a MIJ Tele and that was a good guitar.

Any thoughts ?
Last edited by sizzlingbadger on Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 375 times
Been liked: 130 times

Re: Strat Help

Post by vintage52 »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:33 am I'm thinking about buying a Strat, my budget is more Mexican than USA and I tend towards the traditional specs. I saw this MIJ on the Tard and I quite like it. Seems like a good price and has a hard case too.

Any thoughts ?
Current playing an 87 Japanese made Squier and it's a mean guitar.

Has seen a few upgrades electronically, but the overall playability is fantastic.

The one in the listing looks real nice. Classic colour!!!
Wellington

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

They're nice, but what really twists my undies about MIJ/vintage Fenders is the heel adjust truss rod and the tuners that don't take a thick string (I think .052 is the thickest they'll take if I recall my MIJ strat), along with the skinny narrow vintage fretwire and you've got a guitar I never want to play again. I bought my MIJ strat for cheap but wouldn't buy another.

If the specs are your cup of tea though then have at it, although the current Player Series strats are seriously good guitars and a few hundred cheaper on the used market. The Nick Johnston Schecter is also another brilliant 'strat style' guitar that has some premium stuff on there - ebony board, roasted maple neck, spoke wheel truss rod, locking tuners etc - that's a real nice package.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:33 am I'm thinking about buying a Strat, my budget is more Mexican than USA and I tend towards the traditional specs. I saw this MIJ on the Tard and I quite like it. Seems like a good price and has a hard case too.

Any thoughts ?
that sounds like a really good deal. I like the colour also :thumbup: I also like that it does not have vintage neck radius.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Is this an option for you also? 1983 3-bolt Squire, Japan

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... 4076903002

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:33 am I'm thinking about buying a Strat….

Any thoughts ?
Don’t do it.

Is that the sort of help you’re after?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Any thoughts ?
60s and olympic white, can't go wrong!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

Any thoughts ?
I have a mexican strat I bought after an afternoon of trying lots of mostly more expensive Strat (and I had the cash to play with). It's great. But, it's a player series, and when I've tried other player series Strats I haven't found one that is as good, and some were awful to play for some reason. But Japan might have more consistent quality.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

vintage52 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:38 am

Slight note to add to this, there is an 80's production period of these Japanese Squiers that have a reputation of being way better than they should be. Having played an 80's Japanese Squier that was absolutely sublime and one of my favourite guitars I've ever played, it's not just urban myth. However it was the local music shop guitar tech's personal "forever" guitar and he knew what he had, you may have something similar. Other Japanese Fenders or Squiers may not be the same.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 375 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by vintage52 »

Danger Mouse wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:56 pm

Slight note to add to this, there is an 80's production period of these Japanese Squiers that have a reputation of being way better than they should be. Having played an 80's Japanese Squier that was absolutely sublime and one of my favourite guitars I've ever played, it's not just urban myth. However it was the local music shop guitar tech's personal "forever" guitar and he knew what he had, you may have something similar. Other Japanese Fenders or Squiers may not be the same.
This is an E series 87 Squier. Not the JV but of that rough period.
Wellington

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

vintage52 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:58 pm
Danger Mouse wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:56 pm

This is an E series 87 Squier. Not the JV but of that rough period.
I've just been googling it, yeah that makes sense as an '87. Seems there was plenty of quality variation even with the JV series as well. I don't know what part of the 80's the one I played was from, or if it was a JV, but I'd heard about that period of production and I remember thinking "oh, this is one of those Japanese Squiers".
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

GrantB wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:11 pm
sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:33 am I'm thinking about buying a Strat….

Any thoughts ?
Don’t do it.

That is probably the best advice tbh, I'm more of a Tele guy really.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:18 pm

Any thoughts ?
Don’t do it.

I thought I was too until I got a Strat :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:59 pm

Don’t do it.

This. Neck pickup, volume rolled off into your fave fuzz into short delay into amp on the edge of break-up... Gets me tingly every time.
Hate positions 2 and 4 with a vengeance, though. :lolno:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

IMOCD wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:12 pm
jeremyb wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:59 pm

This. Neck pickup, volume rolled off into your fave fuzz into short delay into amp on the edge of break-up... Gets me tingly every time.
Hate positions 2 and 4 with a vengeance, though. :lolno:
Position 4 is all about me, a clean amp with a gentle bit of OD, beautiful tones for days... the funny thing is all my favourite guitarists were strat players yet I didn't own one.... :rofl: